Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) struggles between preparing for the game and dealing with the situation with Smash (Gaius Charles) as the town of Dillon piles on the pressure. Relationships also begin to form as Tyra (Adrianne Palicki) and Julie (Aimee Teegarden) start an unlikely friendship and Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) reconnects with his estranged father.
The Panthers prepare for their first playoff game. Coach Taylor gets distracted as he has to come up with a solution to Smash's use of drugs. Tyra and Julie befriend while Tim Riggins bonds with his alienated father. Buddy learns about Jason and Lyla's engagement.
- Buddy (to Jason): You're suing my team. You're suing my coach. How do you expect me to feel?
- Jason: It's your team? It's your team? How about a little compassion, Mr. Garrity? I mean, I am paralyzed now.
- Matt: Well, okay, um, what I think what everyone wants to know is, um, is Smash going to play on Friday?
- Coach Taylor: What the hell kind of question is that? You're supposed to be helping me out here, Saracen.
- Matt: Well, I just thought.
- Coach Taylor: Don't be goofy, just ask a normal question. Let's get this over with.
- Matt: That's what everybody's been asking.
- Matt (to Julie): Look, I'm so sorry. I didn't think...I mean, that guy can talk. Seriously, he doesn't stop talking.
- Julie: No, it's cool. You're the big star now, right?
- Matt: No, I'm not a big star. I didn't know that... I'm sorry. I thought it would just be like "Hi" and then and then I came back and you…
- Julie: Matt, they wouldn't even let me pay for dinner.
- Matt (to Julie): Um, did, uh, did you finish your book?
- Julie: I did. What'd you do last night?
- Matt: Uh, nothing, I, I just you know, I just went out to work and then I went home.
- Julie: I saw the calendar.
- Matt: Wh...What?
- Julie: A bunch of the rally girls were passing around this morning.
- Matt: No, see, they totally kidnapped me like... like with Riggins the other night. But nothing happened, so it's...it's but nothing happened at all.
- Julie: Why'd you lie about it?